Wednesday, September 23, 2009

An Idea

Isn't it amazing how ideas can just spring up when doing mundane things? I was rinsing dishes, loading up the dishwasher and general kitchen straightening when this sucker struck me:

If I'm going to have to wrestle with the question of the politics involved in taking something from pop culture and bring it "up" to an Academic level, why not kind of embrace it? By embracing it, I mean, why not explore this context of the Academic snootiness of Literature in bringing pop culture into the classroom (not an object to be studied)? And, by exploring literature snottiness, why not explore Composition's position in the field as well. Face it, Comp is not respected as much as literature--look at how it got started. It's background and roots is preventing it from framing itself as its on field--a separation from the idea of composition as a tool other departments use. There's gotta be a way to tie these two together. Might even have to get a bit rhetoric~y. I'm thinking of an article I found this summer for a class I took. I'm gonna have to dig that up.

Anywho, that's my note for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment